Set Sail Program
Set Sail XIV - A Beginner’s Sailing Adventure on the Bay
St. Margaret Sailing Club is pleased to again offer its popular, adult, entry-level, sailing adventure this year.
Set Sail 2018, will welcome new sailors to the joys of sailing on St. Margaret's Bay. Set Sail blends the basics of sailing theory with a weekend of practice on club member’s boats, in the company of an experienced skipper, and a knowledgeable instructor.
Set Sail consists of two evening sessions and two weekend days; with both classroom and 'on the water' segments.
- Thursday evening (June 21) you’ll be in class learning sailing basics.
- Friday evening (June 22) you’ll meet your assigned skipper and instructor, go aboard a club member's sailboat for familiarization and go sailing to practice what you learned on Thursday.
- Saturday morning (June 23) you will be back in class for added sailing theory, overview of navigation, and other advanced sailing topics.
- Saturday afternoon it's back to the boats and more opportunity to practice what you have learned.
- Sunday morning (June 24) is in class, for discussion of weather, racing, boat selection criteria, other topics and questions and answers.
- Sunday afternoon its back on the water, where, as the crew of your boat, you compare your skills against your fellow students in a 'fun race'.
- Finally, we'll all meet back at the club for a toast with your new found friends and to officially close 'Set Sail' for another year.
(All 'on board' portions are 'weather dependent' for safety; but we have never been 'rained out'.)
Set Sail 2018 Program provides classroom training, facility usage, materials and handouts. On board sessions are through the generosity of club members who volunteer their time and boats; to share their love of St. Margaret's Bay sailing with class participants. You are not paying for the on the water portion - this is provided entirely through the good graces of our members.
Anyone interested in registering for the program is encouraged to do so promptly (the program generally sells out). Registration closes June 10th, or whenever the class is full. This class is only offered once each year.
The number of spaces available is dependent on the number of club members who volunteer their boats and/or time as an instructor, class size is dependent upon boat and skipper availability. We will confirm your registration as soon as we are able. Once your registration has been confirmed, there will be no refunds.
Student spaces will be allocated in order of enrollment; with preference given to those who live or frequent the bay area, and those who have not taken Set Sail before.
Non-members: $250 +HST ($250.00 + $37.50 = $287.50) per person
Special offer this year for Members: $100 +HST ($100 + $15.00 = $115.00) per person
Non-members might consider enrolling as a Member to benefit from the special price. Please refer to the ‘Want to Join SMSC?’ section on the website for fees and forms to apply.
Select Make a Payment to secure a spot.
Here’s what you can expect from having completed Set Sail:
- You’ll have an introduction to the fundamentals of sailboats and sailing; and be ready to apply these skills as a beginning crew member.
- You’ll have an understanding of the concepts and terminology of sailboats and their operation.
- You’ll have a general understanding of wind, and how the sailboat moves through the water.
- You'll be introduced to topics like navigation, racing, weather, boat selection, and others.
- You’ll understand much of the content required to earn the Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) (we do not offer or administer the exam).
Here’s what you’ll need to bring to class:
- Life Jacket or Personal Flotation Device (PFD) (here is a link to the Yacht Shop, one of Set Sail's supporting vendors) one may be available for you if needed.
- Lunches and beverages (non-alcoholic) for Saturday and Sunday classes
- Paper and pen
- WARM weather resistant clothing – we suggest layers, including gloves and a hat)
- Non-skid, non-marking shoes (to protect the decks of the members' boats)
- Rain Gear – just in case
If you have questions, please send an email to: email@example.com