Seeking Head Sailing Instructor
The Head Instructor oversees the summer sailing program and assists the Junior Sail Director in managing the sailing programs throughout the summer season plus additional spring set up/organization. The position is full - time seasonal, with an opportunity to start in May/June depending on program offering. He/She will be in contact with parents, staff, and regatta coordinators and therefore must be friendly, courteous, and knowledgeable of the rules, regulations and operations of SMSC. The candidate must enjoy working with children and adults and being on the water.
Full - time, July through end of August – some hours in May/June for program set up and prep and possible weekend hours if regattas and there are various levels participating.
Junior Sail Director
Commensurate with experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, organization, communication, and team management skills - communicates with parents, sailors, and other staff and guests effectively and with respect.
- Assist in managing all levels of sailing courses and programs offered during the summer season to ensure a successful program offering.
- Strong background in dinghy sailing (including spinnaker and trapeze). Minimum 2 years working as a coach/instructor in a sailing program.
- Valid Boater’s license and copy to be provided.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification – certificate to be provided. Criminal record check.
- Concussion awareness and protocol.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Manage, maintain and teach proper care and storage of all equipment and boats.
- Capable of facility and boat maintenance or assisting with such with preseason setup.
- Assist the coaches with coordinating parental involvement where required, lesson planning, regatta coordination and travel, and the day to day events that transpire.
- Assist in staff management and preseason planning in conjunction with the Junior Sail Director where required.
- Assist in preseason setup and maintenance of boats and equipment. Ensure that checklick reports are completed timely for the participants.
- If there are behavioral or any injuries then incident reports are to be prepared, reviewed and issued to parents.
- Enforce all club policies, improve on water safety, and seek any assistance required from the Junior Sail Director.
- Coordinating social media postings of classes and on the water activities if possible. Ensure a safe, fun, and educational environment for your participants.
We are very interested in someone who can commit to the position and play a key role in growing our programs and assisting our coaching staff.
Coaches are tasked with introducing young sailors to racing and providing on-the-water instruction and assistance, at practices and regattas, to sailors of all skill levels. Head Instructors fulfill many of the same duties and responsibilities as instructors, with the exception that they are expected to be strong leaders and good role models for other instructors, and volunteers.
Additionally, the Head Instructor might be required to fill in for an instructor in the event of any illnesses.
Offers of employment are contingent on passing a criminal background check. Job descriptions are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the position and are not intended to reflect all duties performed with the job.
To apply please email email@example.com. Application deadline is December 31, 2019.